Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Off to the Races!

After several years of planning, it looks like we are going to build this legacy home! However, before I share with you the photos of our awesome slab and the framing that is underway, I want to fill you in on some of the interesting research and ideas that went into the design of this authentic Hill Country home. When Cary Kipp, Kipp Flores Architect, asked me to describe what I had in my minds eye ( ie what I thought the elevation and style would be) I kept saying an Argentine Hunting Lodge but with a Hill Country, Hacienda look. Then I chuckled and said " I have never been to Argentina and I couldn't tell you what a Hill Country Hacienda looks like but let's see what you come up with after I describe it in alittle more detail.

I see a Hacienda style home that has a Hill Country, Texas look verus a Spanish/Mexican look. I want to incorporate the ideas of the Sunday Houses ( casitas) for each of our children, have it look like it's 100 years old, timeless, classic and will be classic and timeless in 100 years from now. I never want anyone to say, "this home was built in 2010" because of the materials or style we choose today. It needs to be relaxed, casual, comfortable just like it is when you live in the country. Yet, a bit more sophisticated then primitive and true to the materials and colors of this region and the landscape.

I like the idea of using natural materials and local artisans particulary those who pride themselves in the "grass roots" style that is authentic to the Hill Country. One of my observations while living in Fredericksburg is that some people are building homes that are beautiful and the style could be seen in San Antonio, Aspen, Ashville and other wonderful places. I wanted this home to be as authentic to Fredericksburg as a new home could be including rain water collection, standing seam roof, native stone, antique wood floors, 150 year old doors, antique hardware, flat ceilings, Sunday Houses, cedar stay fencing, gas lighting, wind mills, cisterns and then naturally couple it with magnificant views, wildlife, wild flowers and native grass, catus and a sky so big, you know God is looking at you through the stars at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment