Saturday, August 7, 2010

The August Heat

The summer heat in Fredericksburg finally reached 100 degrees and my thoughts drift to the workers who wear wet towels around their necks and no shirts as they frame our home. I sit in the grove of trees with my cool drink as I listen to their conversations, country music, jokes, stories and tall tales. One worker's wife is having a baby this weekend. Another worries that the bank is not open when he gets off and he needs some money for groceries this evening.

Here I sit remembering the years that I too worked to serve others. The years I worked in a factory in order to make enough money to attend The University of North Carolina. The years I rode my bicycle to professors homes so that I might clean for their wives or ride my bike in the dark to my night job where I cocktail waitressed til the middle of the morning and rode home by the moonlight. How is it I am a lady of privledge today? I so understand the minds and hearts of these laborers. My parents labored in factories all their life to give my sister and me the simple bare necssities. One worker will come for a glass of cold water and graciously address me...with respect and courtesy. I address him the same way for I am deeply grateful that he amoung others is working to build us a dream home. There are times I don't understand how I got to this place in time, that is , short of a miracle. Do I believe there is a God? Like Carl Jung, " I don't believe there's a God, I know there's a God".

and so, today is a hot summer day in August. My mind and heart are as clear as the sky. The native birds pester each other and fight for water at the few watering holes available and I am in heartfelt gratitude for everything....everything good and not so good that is...thinking "in everything we are to be grateful". And so today is one of those good days. One of those days that I have the time to see what is before me, time to contemplate the experience, time to just BE. Tomorrow is another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment