Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Eagle Windows

Jim Donaldson, our building supervisor, called to say that one of the workers accidently broke a window while setting the stone benches with a fork lift. We discussed how in many cases most workers would not admit they damaged something for fear they would have to pay and their earnings are so little that they can not afford the "accident". This poor Mexican stone mason admitted he broke a 700.00 window today, which could be his wage for the entire week. My heart hurt for him as he admitted he broke the window. So with little discussion I told Jim to order another window saying how surely glad I am that it was a window which can be replaced and not this poor workers leg. How grateful I feel that this man didn't injure himself or another because the window can be replaced but a body part is another problem. Accidents happen, they just do, no matter how careful, "perfect". So at the moment I am not sure exactly how I will reward this good man for admitting he broke the window. Instead my thoughts are focused on how it feels to accidently damage something like this myself... how the truth is easier to admit however how we teach people to lie or not admit their mistakes, imperfection, accidents, for they fear the consequences of their unintentional action.

If only we can realize these accidents are important moments for teaching ourselves and others, how none of these "things" are of importance but this man's heart is important...and some how my heart feels pretty good too ...imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment