Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chasing Daylight

that's how I've been feeling lately...wondering what is next as this home is being built. Chasing daylight...getting the exterior done so I can concentrate on the interior, such a metaphor for this time of life.

....moving into my birthday weekend with gratitude for 58 amazing years...can't help but wonder where the years have gone. I remember being 35 and thinking " I am doing this thing called family: I am a wife, a mother with a career and a housenote, dog, aging parents, social activites, responsible for 3 children from diapers to college and for their weddings.... how will all this ever happen?" OH MY!.... It seemed as though I would never see the end of parenting.

Now, here I am for the first time in many years, free....I am not the first call when one of the kidos needs or wants for something..... and blessed our we that each of our adult children married wonderful spouses who we like as people and love as our own. This is just one more blessing.

Today the quiet sets in, the phone doesn't ring as often, their lives are busy as they take the path of making their own families and I notice the sun is setting.

....so as I watch the sun fall in the sky, I think my life is a miracle. Just having the opportunity to build this home is a miracle. We were more than bankrupt just 12 years ago. Bill has lived through 2 heart events, me just one, we came to understand the love of a pet, Butcher, who brought pure joy to our life, we saw Nicole receive the Jefferson Scholarship at a time when we didn't know how we could send her to the college she deserved, Ellie graduates from Medical School with the most prestigious honor, William lives through kayaking trips on fierce rivers around the world, Edna Marie wants to see her son after 20 years, Bill's family shares in the love and life of Beth O'Brien when she is taken from us ...and more.

....so as I watch the sun set in the western sky, there's a peace, stillness, love that all is good ...not knowing how much longer I will be chasing daylight, I move to the interior of this home and get busy with floors, cabinets, countertops and tile. This is when it starts looking beautiful! This is when the hard work begins to pay off...another miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment