Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring in Fredericksburg

It's April but unlike the saying "April Showers brings May Flowers", we are in a drought. The Blue Bonnets are suffering from lack of rain so even though it's 80-90 degrees during the day, the wildflowers are not as prolific. NO MATTER! It is beautiful in the Hill Country with blue skies, blazing sunsets, crisp nights, flowering roses and tall grasses. The house is becoming a home and Spring has brought it alive with workers, activity, re-newed energy as everyone is working together, helping each other during this birthing time. WOW....that is what I said when I saw it for the first time in 7 weeks. WOW...it is really a work of art. All the old doors are hung, the interior stone niches are part of the gallery hall, the plaster color is warm and inviting, the stone patios are a rich misty grey flagstone just like the bits of color in the stone walls, the excavation for the pool has begun, preparation has begun to lay the custom color tiles in all the baths and kitchen and all the special faux painting around the windows and doors is complete. WOW...the photos don't do it justice. The detail and artistry is outstanding.

Today, I sat for a bit just looking at this home on top of the mesa. I still don't feel connected to it accept as an art project. Now I am beginning to select interior beds, antique chests to house TV's, fabrics for the gallery bench pillows, iron firepits for the courtyard, the main upholistry pieces for the Master Bedroom and more. It is as though I am the General Contractor on someone else's home, and I guess in many ways, this is so...it is all God's anyway, right? So looking in the distance at Enchanted Rock brings a smile. One hundred years from now, I wonder if this home will still be owned by an O'Brien family member? I wonder if Enchanted Rock will still be enchanted? I wonder if the home will look like when it's 100 years old? I just wonder....

No comments:

Post a Comment