Sunday, July 31, 2011

It's coming together....

This week has been an important week as the house begins to come together and the interior and exterior become one. I had to stop and re-read that last sentence and re-remember what that means metaphorically. When things come together, there's a sense of peace that everything fits, makes sense, works, it's as if it has continuity, feels authentic, genuine...real.

In order that the interior and the exterior mirror one another, I had to make some changes this week. The firepit in the back of the house just didn't look like the house design so I had the contractor tear it down and rebuild it to my new specification. Now it looks like the house in design...it looks like it has been there for years and is made of stacked stone from the property, an old way of laying stone, very primitive, but native to this area as well as parts of Europe, Ireland, and other countries. It looks really good, simple. Now, on another note, the swimming pool is a bit of concern. It is really big!...bigger then I thought it would be. I kept telling Doug, with Water Scapes, that I didn't want a big pool. Well, it is big and bigger then I wanted. Not sure why this happened but maybe we were supposed to have more water on top of the mesa. I guess I will take up swimming again. I guess we will have pool parties, that is, if there's enough water to fill it!

So this week has been busy: I made decisions about the front gate. The cedar gates will be supported by stone columns which will hold 2 natural gas Bevolo light fixtures. The front gate will look like the courtyard gate which is used to enter the main house. Also this week, I agreed to have another water well drilled at the base to support the one we have and therefore there will be extra water at times of drought. I met with Joe Cross about the landscaping and the hardscape which looks really good. The flower boxes in the back of the house are huge also. Things seem to get bigger in the outer world, bigger than the sketches, that's for sure!

In any case, the entire property is amazing from the time you enter the gates below and until you look beyond the swimming pool and see the view of Enchanted Rock...wow...it is beautiful. There's nothing as fine as seeing God's beautiful "painting" where ever you look. Not to mention the enormous sky with the ever changing cloud formations...breath taking.

Dal is working to lay the driveway pavers which are a pale grey color, tumbled, antiqued and chipped in places so they look like they are 100 years old. The random pattern is being laid on a bed of sand with sand morter. I was very pleased with the way it looks, solid, handsome.

No comments:

Post a Comment